Gamblers Anonymous Forum
First time for me - Printable Version

+- Gamblers Anonymous Forum (https://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/Forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forum (https://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/Forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Share Section (https://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/Forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: First time for me (/showthread.php?tid=10607)

First time for me - DARRENSMUM1 - 15-02-2018

Hi I am a 57 year old female ,mother of 2 wonderful sons who are happy living there own lives .I remarried my first husband Sept .2016 after being apart for about 32 years ,he knows a little about my gambling but not the full extent he has enough to deal with his son has just been diagnosed with mental health problems and now I am just adding to them .The time has come for me to say enough is enough.

I gamble on online games,bingo slot machines and scratch cards but only do it when I go by myself we meet up with my brother and sister in law on a Sunday at our local Legion for bingo and dont gamble there they have a slot machine a machine with tickets that you can win money on,also prize raffle tickets which I never do.

I have tried going out without my bank card or no money in my purse but it always draws me back .I enjoy the thrill of winning which is not very often then this gets me down I have Fibromyalgia which also gets me down no excuse to waste money I know that .

So here I am hoping this site can help me to stop wasting my hard earned money.

RE: First time for me - Simmo - 16-02-2018

Hi DARRENSMUM1,

You are certainly not alone, gambling addiction draws us back even when we don't want to. The solution however is available, I and many others in GA have managed to stop gambling and keep stopped by going to regular meetings. I suggest having a look at the meetings section, typing in your postcode and looking for your nearest meeting. Every person at the meetings has one thing in common, the desire to stop gambling, and collectively we can do just that. I stopped gambling 23 months ago and by working the program, it's giving me back my life better than it was before.

If you have the desire to stop, you CAN do it. Look forward to reading your updates of how it goes.

Simmo

RE: First time for me - DARRENSMUM1 - 16-02-2018

(16-02-2018, 01:31 PM)Simmo Wrote: Hi DARRENSMUM1,

You are certainly not alone, gambling addiction draws us back even when we don't want to.  The solution however is available, I and many others in GA have managed to stop gambling and keep stopped by going to regular meetings.  I suggest having a look at the meetings section, typing in your postcode and looking for your nearest meeting.  Every person at the meetings has one thing in common, the desire to stop gambling, and collectively we can do just that.  I stopped gambling 23 months ago and by working the program, it's giving me back my life better than it was before.  

If you have the desire to stop, you CAN do it.  Look forward to reading your updates of how it goes.  

Simmo

RE: First time for me - StrengthToStop - 17-02-2018

Hi Darrensmum1,

Well done on posting, and taking that first step forward.

GA Meetings are a good place to go, and will help you to be able to talk about your gambling, your feelings and will ultimately give you a lot of advice.

I think you say that the problem is in online gambling. There are various bits of software available to help you here, the one that is mentioned within the GA group that I go to is called GAMBAN. Once installed there is no going back and you will simply not be able to get onto any gambling websites whatsoever. This of course includes things like the national lottery, so make sure that you research first and then go for it if you think it would help.

As Simmo says though, trying to quit alone is hard, the group certainly helps me, and I'm looking forward to going to my local one tomorrow, and putting another week between attendances and my last bet.

Good luck, feel free to ask for any advice and post up any thoughts and feelings, we are all here to help, and to will you to succeed.

RE: First time for me - lockers13 - 25-02-2018

Hi Darrensmum1,

well done for taking the first steps to seeking help. The hardest thing I have ever done in my life is attend my first meeting and say I'm Debbie, a compulsive gambler. I am now 37 days into my recovery and feeling a million times better. Things do get easier and I wholeheartedly believe that attending the meetings is they key. I like you in the past have tried not taking my bank card, just taking the correct money but in time slowly and surely slip back. My vice was slots. If I didn't have money they didn't bother me but the minute I had excess cash I couldn't help myself. I hope you manage to stay strong and get your life back on track. Best of luck and keep posting x